Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Monday, June 29, 2009

It's Summertime...

Hello everyone,
Summer is in full swing and I hope you are enjoying your vacation from school, college, or are spending time with your family. Since last talking with you, I’ve been taking part in many 4-H activities.
On June 6 I had the opportunity to visit a part of PA that I’ve never been to before…the suburbs of Philadelphia. For a small town girl like me, this was a neat experience, and Alex had to laugh at my mom and me for being amazed that they still have ice cream trucks and they aren’t just in the movies (which is the only place I’ve seen them)! Anyway, we attended Fox Chase Farm for their first annual Farm-City Day. Here Alex and I made Seed Necklaces with the kids (check out the June edition of the Clover Clipboard newsletter at ps4-hc.cas.psu.edu/ to learn how to make one). We also had a chance to talk with members and club leaders in that area.
On June 8, I participated in Snyder County’s Presentation Night by doing a PowerPoint on “4-H Opportunities”. The following night I visited the Kreamer “All For One” community 4-H club, which was great because that was the club that gave me my start in 4-H. Later that week on the 12th, Council held a Face-to-Face meeting at PSU. We discussed our plans for State Days and SLC as well as our fast approaching trip to New Mexico. We also celebrated Dr. Bruce’s last day as our advisor.
My club, Backyard Bunnies, held a meeting on June 17th at a local park. For most of the meeting, the club aided the Checkout the Silver Project by counting all the soda tabs they collected so far. The total came to 23,360 tabs! Great job guys! Don’t forget to keep up your collection as well!
The Central Susquehanna Counties, made up of Columbia, Lycoming, Montour, Northumberland, Snyder, and Union counties, attended Camp Brule June 21-26. As a counselor, I helped with the Rocketry workshop, was a team leader, and helped with the various camp activities. I even took part in a “Cot Circle”, a tradition for the last couple years where counselors sleep with their cots in a circle around the fire ring rather than in their tent. Actually my tent site had a Cot “Corner” because only two of us were brave enough to do it! I met some great kids, and I can’t wait to go back next year!

“Remember when you see someone at the top of a mountain, they didn’t fall there.”- Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment