Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Friday, June 1, 2012

What is your story?


“The Dash” by Linda Ellis was recently read to my class. This poem is about how we live our dash on our tombstones. Living our life to the fullest is almost writing a chapter book. Each year of our life a new chapter is added to our book. Once the poem was read, I began to think about my book so far. I have been fortunate enough to write many amazing events. As I looked back on the last 18 years I realized one thing. Most of those years were filled with dairy animals and 4-H projects. 4-H has been in my life for almost 11 years. 
Writing the chapters of your life, what stands out to you? I know for me, my projects in 4-H are the highlights that are bolded in my book. Not everything is a happy moment but those moments that are not happy mold us to who we are today. I also took the moment to think of people that have influenced me. Two people popped in to my head, my parents, but the next few people were 4-H volunteers, advisors and extension educators. I just want to take a quick moment and say thank you to those that influenced my career goal. 
Reading a book of someone else, is also part of your own book writing. As senior is coming to a close my school recognizes the seniors at an awards ceremony before graduating. As I sat watching my fellow classmates and I get called up for awards I realized that neither I or any of them did what they did alone. There was peers, teachers and other influences that changed our path and our story. Some students changed it for the better but others changed because people told them too. 
Influences come in and out of our lives that we might not see all of them at once, but when we do see some, it is those that change us the most. May it be 4-H influences, school, friends, or even parents, it changes our story. Taking those influences and molding them to fight our lives is how our story is created. What is your story telling others?
Ashley Mohn, Secretary
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.”

No comments:

Post a Comment