Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Venturing Outside of 4-H

I’m sure that for most of you, 4-H is not the only extra-curricular activity that you participate in. Whether you choose to fill your spare time with sports, performing arts, creative arts, community service clubs, or just keeping up with school work, everyone is very busy.

Besides 4-H, my number one time commitment is my school marching band. In my high school, marching band is not taken lightly. We have intense practices that prepare us for our almost weekly Cavalcade competitions. Yes, the marching band schedule can be overwhelming at times, but band is truly rewarding. Being in my fourth year of high school marching band, I feel as though the other 97 band members and color guard performers are family, especially my instrument section each year. 

Since fourth grade, I’ve only played the flute or piccolo, but this year I tried something completely new. In the spring of my junior year, my band director convinced three of us flute players to switch to mellophone because we had three mellophone players about to graduate. Without really knowing what we were getting into, we switched instruments and were eager to learn this foreign brass music maker. I’ve had a ball this year with my five mellophone friends, and even more fun is to be had in the next few months with the opportunity to play mellophone in the school jazz band. Not to mention the great challenge of learning how to play French horn with them in concert band.
The phrase “time flies when you’re having fun,” is spot on. It feels like yesterday we were dripping in sweat and frying in the sun during the three weeks of hellish band camp, counting down the days until Championships--the end to the marching band season. But now we are here; the end is insight, and for some reason or another, I wish we could go back and relive the entire season again.

All Senior Band Members 
Just last week, we had our senior night at our home football game where they recognized the senior football players, cheerleaders, and band members. At the conclusion of this school year, we’re going to move on in our lives in hopes of achieving great things. Having my parents on the field with me and hearing the announcer tell the audience my future plans (to attend Penn State of course majoring in Agriculture and Extension Education!) really hit me hard. It’s incredibly bittersweet knowing that in just over a week, my high school marching band career will be over as I know it. In fact, this year will also be the end to our band director’s tenure after a notable thirty-four years in music education. I will never forget such a remarkable year I had with the Boyertown High School band and the mellophone section this 2012 marching season. Who knows, maybe my marching band career is not over. Perhaps you’ll see me marching with the Penn State Blue Band next year? I suppose all we can do is wait and see what the future has in store for us.


Sincerely,

Cecilia Stuetz
Pennsylvania State 4-H Council Secretary
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” –Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment