Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Whirlwind of Adventure


These last two months have been such an adventure for me. The start of August meant State Achievement Days was just around the corner. I was getting prepared and nervous at the same time, knowing that I was running for state council. This was the first year that the 4-Hers running for state council would have to give a campaign speech. This speech was one of the hardest speeches I have ever given, and it definitely took me out of my comfort zone. That following day I found out I made it, I am the new 2010-2011 Pennsylvania 4-H State Council Secretary. Little did I know, state council would continue to take me out of my comfort zone.

With just being inducted into office, I was ready to head off to my first week of college. I am currently a freshman at Pennsylvania College of Technology, majoring in Baking and Pastry Arts. It was hard at first to adjust to the college life but I slowly got into the flow of things. Now that I am taking on College and Council my responsibilities have doubled. The State Council training was the first major challenge. It was long, tiring, and information overload! But the six other council members and I made it through the long days, we have learned so much about each other throughout that weekend, and we will continue to build our friendships.

After the training the work for council really had begun. To start off I attended the 4-H Tailgate which was a new experience for me. It was cool to see all the donors of 4-H, and I was able to meet a few of them. I spoke to one couple (before it was game time), and I asked them how they got involved in 4-H? The lady I spoke to said "she is a 4-H leader and they used to have different clubs for different activities". I asked her what kind of activities, her reply was "roller skating, bowling, .... and even stilt walking! I couldn't believe it, I guess 4-H really does take people to new heights (literally). It is awesome that 4-H can make that much of an impact.

September just flew by and National 4-H week is almost here. With me being on State Council this is the week to shine! I am getting ready to participate in National Youth Science Day which will be held at Penn State on October 6th. I will also be giving a presentation at Loyalsock Valley Elementary School, this will be for all the 4th graders and I will be talking about what 4-H is and some of the the opportunities in 4-H. I am excited to spread the word about 4-H and what the program means to me. This truly is an opportunity of a life time and so far, State Council has definitely been a whirlwind of adventure!

State Council Secretary
~Samantha Gstalder~

No comments:

Post a Comment