Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

When I grow up I want to be...

Recently while watching TV I saw a commercial for Monster.com. Their tag line was “when I grow up I want to be.” Children around 8 years old to about 14 years old were stars in this commercial. They each had a different answer depending on where they grew up and who influenced them. Some of the answers were I want a big nose, I want people to love me, I want to be a teacher, I want to work in advertising, and the list goes on.

The commercial made me realize that a big influence of my ending for the sentence came from 4-H. When I grow up I want to work in agriculture public relations. I love talking to in front of a large crowd, creating handouts, and evening writing articles. This all came from my 4-H career. I would not have prepared my first public speaking speech if it was not for 4-H. I learned starting at age 8 I can accomplish anything if I put my mind on the task at hand.

I show dairy animals through the 4-H program. My love for the dairy industry and the animal would not be as strong if it was not for my first 4-H animal. I still remember to this day I was finishing my soccer game one minute and rushing to a sale the next. That sale changed my entire life. It was that day when I bought my first animal to show. I was only 8 years old so I didn’t quite understand the process of bidding but I knew when the gavel fell that animal was mine. The purchase not only influenced my passion but it shaped my future.

The count down is on for the next big council event, Capital Days. This year we will gather in Harrisburg on April 28th until May 1st. 4-H members will be engaged in workshops, participate in a mock legislative session and have a tour of the State Capitol. Members also will meet face to face with their legislators during the final breakfast.

With something to think about,

Ashley Mohn
PA State 4-H Council Secretary

“You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your Grandfather was.”

No comments:

Post a Comment