Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Friday, February 1, 2013

Butter Sculpture, Milkshakes, and Beef Brisket, Oh My!


What an eventful January we have had as Pennsylvania 4-Hers! Congratulations to everyone who competed at Farm Show and a huge thank you to everyone who attended State Leadership Conference.

As you may know, every January thousands of people from across Pennsylvania and the country flood the Farm Show Complex for the largest indoor agriculture event in America. To many of you, going to Farm Show every year seems like second nature. You probably know the ins and the outs of that 24 acre complex like the back of your hand. For me though, the 2013 Farm Show was completely new and slightly overwhelming. Walking into the Farm Show Complex for the first time made me feel like a child who walked into an endless toy store; there was so much I wanted to see and explore!  

My first time in the Farm Show Complex was spent with my fellow council team representing Pennsylvania 4-H among all of the commodities in Pennsylvania and influential adults in the agriculture industry. However, what most people remember about that day is that the near 1000lb PA Preferred Butter Sculpture was revealed.  Seeing the masterpiece in person is much more impressive than what my friends described it in years past.

As if I thought the Exhibit Hall and animal halls were a lot to soak in and observe, I did not have a clue what to expect at opening ceremonies. I sure felt like a rock star walking into the Large Arena with State Council. Exhilarating- to say the least.

Of course 4-Hers cannot attend Farm Show without stopping by Hess's Barbecue Booth and trying some award winning beef brisket. I had the privilege to work in that famous log cabin with my State Council team twice, and it was some of the most fun I've had with teammates to date. Not to mention the convenience of being within eyesight of the milkshake stand.

I can’t believe I missed out on all the excitement Farm Show has to offer previously, but I think it is safe to say I will be returning next year and many more years to come!

Sincerely,
Cecilia Stuetz
Pennsylvania State 4-H Council Secretary

“Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.” –Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment