Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Who do you want to be?

Hello Everyone,

I hope that everyone is having a great start to 2013! I can't believe that we are already two months into a brand new year. I know that many of us just got through mid-terms and many other tough school exams and everything else that school always throws our way. Sometimes, with everything that we are involved in and expected to do, life can get a little overwhelming. I myself have been extremely stressed lately with outdoor track getting underway, the new 4-H year beginning, and school. However, I have many great people in my life who want me to be happy and always try to minimize my stress level as much as possible. One of the main people who helps me to stay focused and on the right track with the demanding life and schedule I have is my wonderful coach and guidance counselor. Regardless of what he is doing or how busy he is he always makes time for me when I need him. I was having a very hard time getting back on my feet in school being that I had been sick and out of school so much.

One day at the beginning of February, he gave me a book to read. The book is titled My Orange Duffel Bag. It is an inspirational and motivational story about a boy who played football and ran track but had hardships at the beginning of his life that many of us couldn't even fathom going through. It's one of those stories that makes you believe if they did it, I can do it. I can honestly say that this book has changed my life and given me a whole new outlook on the way I should live my life and what really matters. I have already read the book three times and it still impacts me everytime I read it.

Along with reading that amazing story, I have also taken another step in improving my life and becoming a better person. Even though most of us wouldn't admit it, we always say and do things that deep down we know are not the right things to do. Sometimes we hurt people even though we really don't mean to. My point is that even though many people may not know it we all wish that we could slightly change who we are or the way we act in certain situations.

So this past month I began to try to make myself a better person. I began a thing that I call "Who am I? and Who do I want to be?" Everyday or almost everyday I sit down at my computer for about five to ten minutes and make a list of who I was that day and what I did. I usually have some positive and negative things on my list but that's just the way it is, nobody is perfect. After I have my list of "Who am I?", I make the "Who do I want to be?". This also should only take about five to ten minutes. By doing this, I have already become a better person and I'm greatful for it. So now I ask you, who do you want to be?

I hope that everyone had a great Valentine's Day and I hope to see everyone at Capital Days!
Until later,

Dawn Craft
Pennsylvania State 4-H Council 2012-2013 Vice President of Operations

No comments:

Post a Comment