Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Monday, October 31, 2011

Burrr!

It's October and we have snow! I have got to say, I am not a fan but unfortunately it's that time of year when everyone starts bundling up and getting ready for winter. Snow isn't the only thing that has happened this month! Deer running around, more school, more soccer, Halloween, and the STATE 4-H HORSE SHOW! Now that's what I call a great month, or is it?

The only way of putting this is by saying, I got hit by a deer. That is how my month started. I was on my way to school, just driving minding my own business when all of a sudden I heard BANG! I saw a deer head right in my driver's side windshield. Talk about scary! I had no idea what to do. I never ever had something like this happen to me and I was scared. I pulled off the road and called my mom crying and hyperventilating. The deer died and my car was definitely not looking it's best. My windshield was cracked, my door had a huge dent in it, my side mirror wasn't there anymore, and my car wasn't running right. So, since I didn't have a car anymore, my mom let me use her brand new 2011 Toyota Camry. Not a good idea. Less than a week later, I was on my way to school again when two deer ran out in front of me. I didn't hit the first one, but the second wasn't so lucky, and neither was I. It damaged the front corner of the drivers side and I have never felt so unlucky!

As the month went on, I felt my luck finally changing! I finally got my Chemistry grade back to an A so now I have straight A's and my soccer team has never been doing so well! We ended the regular season 13 wins and 5 losses. We were seeded 4th in the district and recently won our first playoff game! It has been a very exciting season and cannot wait to play in the semi-finals.

Finally, the State 4-H Horse Show. The show that I work towards with my horses all year for! I was very excited because I made it with my production horse, Peanut, who is only 3 years old and my project horse, Kid, who is 11. I made it with Peanut in a riding class and a halter class, which is based on the horse's body build and with Kid, I made it in Showmanship, which is a pattern class. The day finally came for me to show Peanut. I was a little uneasy about riding her because earlier in the year, I was bucked off of her twice! But I realized, I had to forget about the past and look forward. I ended up getting second in the halter class and took fifth in the riding class. I was so excited to hear I was fifth in the riding class because there were 14 horses and only 6 placed. While at States, my mom started to notice that my other horse, Kid, wasn't acting right. We took his temperature and it was 105.5, when it should be 101. We called the vet down and she examined him and asked plenty of questions. She finally concluded, that he had tick fever. I still couldn't tell you exactly what it is but I can tell you that it made him sick and lethargic. She told us that he would have to be administered 3-7 doses of IV medication. The first starting that day. At that time, we weren't sure if I would be able to show him or not. If his fever was down then I could. Thankfully, on the day I showed, his fever was back to normal but his attitude and behavior were not. He was very grumpy and was still lethargic. I did end up taking him in the class, and I'm glad he stuck with me because we ended up placing 7th out of 25. I have never been so proud of my horse.

The month started a little rocky but ended great! Planning for SLC is still underway and I can't wait for everyone to see how great it is going to be this year!

Sincerely,
Liz McAndrew
State 4-H Council Vice President of Operations

No comments:

Post a Comment