Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

At my tech school

          Hey this is John and I'm going to talk a little about my tech school: Erie County Technical School (ECTS). At ECTS I am in the Construction Trades lab. In this lab we learn about masonry, some electrical, but mostly carpentry. 
     This year my main project is the Sr. House. Witch is the biggest project in my lab. All the students that were in construction for three years, plane a house design and then we get to build it. It is an amazing feeling seeing what we design come to life. Just the thought that most of the kids in my class knew little to none about carpentry and masonry, and three years later in our sr. year we are able to actually build a house. 
     One more thing that I enjoy about ECTS is that they are a part of a national organization called Skills USA. Skills USA is a leadership origination specifically meant for technical schools. The reason for this is because Skills USA holds competitions for all the classes in tech schools. Last year at districts I placed third in Team Works with three other members, one last year sr. from construction and two last years sr.'s from Facility Maintenance. For Team Works we had to construct a small scale bathroom. I am plaining on competing in this competition  this year. The first place team at districts will to go to states, and the winner at states will move on to nationals. 
     I really enjoy going to tech and strongly recommend if you have the chance to go to a tech school that has your interest and you enjoy hands on work to take the opportunity it's a great choice.  I am able to build stuff around the farm and able to help someone that needs something made out wood just from my background at ECTS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment