Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Tuesday, October 2, 2012


The Start of Something New
 

This month has been exciting in Berks County.  Teen Leaders from across the county are hard at work in planning for the Centennial Celebration which is coming up very soon.  Also Berks County is proud to say it has formed a new club, Berks Robotics.  I and my trusted sidekick, Laura Dietrich, got the honor of starting the new club off by some icebreakers.  I was planning on amazing younger and older 4-Hers with what you can do with a deck of cards, but I grabbed a pinochle deck instead of a standard deck.  My sidekick, who I will refer to her as such for the duration, had everything she needed and was ready.  Her icebreaker was conversation balls that had questions all over that depending on how you caught them made you answer a question.  Hers was a success but mine on the other hand could have been better.  I found difficulty when I asked people to pair up based on number (10, J, Q, K, A) when there were eight of one number in the deck. 

The Club began extremely well with the kids learning basic engineering skills to kick off what they will be learning.  All of them can’t wait to begin building robots.  The first month’s meeting went by fantastically.  I also was surprised when I saw so many members that I recognized from 4-H Camp.  I knew that two were going to be there and the one ever told me that his two “darling” bothers, which I have been their counselor for ever, were not going to be there.  They were there which I was happy about.  After helping in these meetings I can tell that all of the kids are excited and egger to be new 4-Hers. 

I also can’t wait to see what the other teens have planned for the county's centennial event which will be held at the Berks 4-H Center on October 13th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment