Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The First of My Lasts

           You’ll never truly know how many of your activities you take for granted until you realize that you’ll never be able to participate in them again. I’m currently in my senior year of high school, and I’m finally aware of how different everything will be after 2013 comes to a close. Not only will high school be over, but so will my last year as a youth in 4-H.


            It didn’t hit me until last Friday, when my school’s football team played the last game of the season. The game determined whether or not the team went to playoffs, but to me it was whether or not I had another halftime performance. I’ve been drum major of the marching band for two years now, and it has been a huge part of my life. For those of you who may not know what that means, I’m the one conducting the band and yelling commands on the field.
            I was completely torn during the game. I wanted our team to win as I wanted them to do well, but the weather was getting bad. I was also pretty tired of band taking up four nights a week. Besides, the game before that was senior night and it already felt like the season should be over. Needless to say, I wasn’t sure what to think when halftime came around and we were winning. However, toward the end of the fourth quarter, our team needed another touchdown to take the game into overtime and possibly make it to playoffs. With ten seconds left, they were two yards from that touchdown. I already had the band prepared to play the fight song if they scored, or the senior’s choice pep-tune, “Louie, Louie”, if we lost. We were all ready, but when time was up and the other team had won I just looked at my director in dismay and told the band to sit down.
            I can’t honestly say I was hoping we would win the whole time, but I should have. As soon as the whistle blew and the game was over, it hit me. I’ll never be on my podium in front of the band again. I didn’t know how much I’d miss it until that moment.
            This next year is going to be filled with similar times for me, but I won’t be taking those things for granted. Not only in school, but in 4-H too. I'm going to make the most of  all of the state, regional, and county events I am fortunate enough to attend. From now on, I’m going to enjoy the things that I know will be over soon. I don't want to rush through things, I'd much rather have fun and make memories along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment