Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Reflection on a Year of 4-H


A Reflection on a Year of 4-H

This year with 4-H was truly something to remember not because of anything in particular but the fact that it was my second to last year within the organization that gave me so much.  Looking back I can think of several highlights which this year I look forward to again.

In January I kicked off the year of 4-H by assisting at the Farm Show with the 4-H Science Projects.  The Beef Rib Barbeque Sandwiches were the best food I had, excluding the always delicious deep fried vegetables.  This year I can’t wait for farm show and all the new fun memories that I will have.

SLC was the best part of January though.  Learning about myself as a leader and what it meant to be a leader was an experience which I will truly cherish.  This year I got the chance to help design SLC and the inclusion of chocolate … well let’s be honest chocolate and SLC might be better than chocolate and peanut butter.

Then Camp Counselor Training for the summer began.  Counselor Training is one of the few things I enjoy with 4-H because I get to see the new team that I will be working with.  Each year new people join and old people leave the team; each year is different.  This year we planned on teaming up the rest of District 18 Northampton, Lehigh, and Schuylkill.  I looked forward with teaming up with them for my fourth year as a camp counselor.

Then I attended Capital Days.  It was the first time in a long time that a Berks County youth was interested in going.  The one thing I will remember of that event was arguing with John Hess about the bill in question on the mock senate floor.  I never had a better time of achieving nothing reflecting on how we both were wrong in our arguments.  This year I get to watch other 4-Hers attempts what I attempted and I look forward to doing just that.

Camp!  My voice was sore from all the singing but I had a blast as usual.  I was no longer an inexperienced counselor and I got the honor of being an advisor for younger counselors.  The best parts of camp will always be mascotts, smores, animals in the cabins, and finally the new friends I make.  The friends I this year from camp I looked forward to seeing in a couple of weeks State Achievement Days.

State Achievement Days was probably the most stressed I ever felt at any 4-H event.  It was my fault cause I decided that for my final year in 4-H I was going to be a part of the State 4-H Council.  I had to make several presentations and prepare myself for the responsibility which came with being part of this amazing team.  I got to meet my friends from all over 4-H and then I got to make new friends as well.  The final night dance is always a great time.

The rest of my 4-H year all fell under State Council from the wonderful weekend in September called Officer Training, to State Council Events in October, November, and December.  The success I felt that my team and I achieved in these few months we have been together I never would have hoped for better teammates.  We have been all hard at work trying to be the best that we can be and are still trying to be better. 

I look forward to next year and I can’t wait to see what is in store for my final year in 4-H.  I have truly been blessed with what 4-H has allowed me to achieve.  What will the surprises that will be in my final year in 4-H? After ten years in this organization I cannot predict any part of it.  I can only walk forward with a smile and eagerness like I have every year of my 4-H Journey.
-George Dietrich State Historian and Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment