Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

December Blessings

First and foremost, I hope everyone had a delightful holiday season and enjoyed the much needed break from school! I know I surely benefited having some time off and time to relax.

This holiday season was one unlike any I had in the past seventeen years. Earlier this December, my family welcomed a new family member to our house-no, not another child in our clan, but my 93 year old great aunt. The move seemed so simple when I thought about it prior to the transition, but it has proved to be quite an adjustment.

Aunt Rosanne, or “Muffy” as she has been called since her childhood, brought along a great number of concerns for my family, but she has actually unintentionally taught me a few lessons. Let me start by saying, Aunt Muffy loves to eat, so she finds it very meaningful when we sit down and eat meals with her. My family typically doesn’t have the pleasure of sitting down to eat together because we simply do not have the time; however, this December has been a month filled with family dinners, and not only to celebrate the holidays. We made an effort to make time to eat together, and it really pleased Aunt Muffy. She was especially thrilled when I asked her to teach me about those scribbles she uses to write messages that nobody but her can comprehend, also known as shorthand. Indirectly, I relearned the significance of spending quality time with my family and how important my family is to me. Leave it to the holiday season to bring families closer together!

In front of the Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna
Austria with my friends Catherine and Heidi. 
Along with learning valuable lessons about family, I learned lots in December about the importance of friendship. I have been very blessed with supportive friends, and naturally it’s difficult to be apart from them. In mid-November, one of my closest friends, Heidi, moved to New Brunswick, New Jersey to enter a vigorous physical therapy program to cure her Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD). It has been sad not having her by my side and in town to be able to celebrate our traditions, but she is always around in spirit. I cannot wait for Heidi’s recovery and for her to return home! In the meantime, I developed bonds with other great friends, and I can easily say these next six months finishing senior year are going to be a blast.
 
Of course, January has tons in store for Pennsylvania 4-Hers and State Council. I’m looking forward to my first time at the Pennsylvania Farm Show and the best Pennsylvania 4-H State Leadership Conference: Leadership Your Golden Ticket!

Thanks for reading,
 
Cecilia Stuetz 
Pennsylvania State 4-H Council Secretary 


“The love of family and the admiration of friends is much more important than wealth and privilege.” –Charles Kuralt 

No comments:

Post a Comment