Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Never a Dull Moment!


This weekend, my dad asked me if I’d help him with a job. Aside from his actual work, he hauls animals or equipment for others.  Normally, when he asks me to go, we take a horse to a different barn.
Well, this trip was definitely not a normal delivery! We were to pick up a miniature donkey from an Amish farm, and take it to a birthday party at a restaurant in the city of Boardman, Ohio. It seemed like an interesting way to spend our Saturday evening, so we grabbed an oversized party hat and went on our way.


We took the horse trailer to go pick up the donkey. After we got him loaded and headed toward the restaurant, my dad said, “Oh man! We don’t know his name!” We laughed and I started suggesting names; Norman? Ralphie? Francis? After a while, we decided to call him Franklin.



When we arrived at the restaurant, I helped my dad groom Franklin and put the party hat on him. We unloaded him from the trailer and stood with him in the parking lot. Shortly, the people attending the party made their way out to see him. They all loved Franklin and had pictures taken with him. He got a lot of attention and even a few kisses! There was an abundance of laughter and, because I was holding him, I was asked many questions about him and donkeys in general. This was my first time handling a donkey. They may be similar to horses, but I don’t know much about donkeys. Despite not knowing much about the animal, I had a lot of fun. It was great to be a part of making people laugh.

Upon returning our new friend Franklin, my dad asked his owner what the donkey’s name was. His reply was, “He doesn’t really have one.”  When I told them that I had named him Franklin for the night, they decided that it would stick with him.


It was a nice evening of light-hearted fun, and I even got to name a donkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment