Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Now What?... The Wrap-Up

Hello Everyone!

For my blog this month, I wasn’t sure how I wanted to started.  While riding my horse I was mentally drafting ideas for this blog.  I was thinking about starting out like:

“Once upon a time in a state far, far, away,
A group of 8 individuals united together with a common passion…”

I thought that might have been a little too out there so I also considered other ideas.  I contemplated writing my entire 4-H career story – I even thought about describing my entire State Council term.

But, to be completely honest with you – There is no way I could have prepared myself for my last blog.  I have been dreading this moment.  I have been anxious about my last few days on council since the beginning.  This year has been like no other before.  From the connections, to the friendships, to the skills learned – I would repeat this year in a heartbeat.  I often look back to where I stood one year from now as I had no idea what was ahead of me then.

One year ago, I set off on an adventure.  I was uncertain and fearful, but mostly I was invigorated by the idea of being a member of the Pennsylvania 4-H State Council.  I was (and of course, still am) passionate about a program that changed my life.  4-H was, is, and always will be a major component of my life.  One year ago, never did I imagine or fathom what my life would be like after I was inducted in the 2012/2013 Pennsylvania 4-H State Council.

One year from that – here I am now.  I’m at the end of my term as a council member.  I’m about to hang up my jacket and title.  You have no idea how hard that is to grasp.  For one year you build these relations with your team and now you’re faced with the point of no return.  The odds are against you that your team and you will all be in the same location at the same time now.  Time goes on and you must now too.

So now what?  Where do I go from here?

Last month, I blogged about how extremely difficult it was for me to answer the question about “Where would my life be without 4-H”?  I’m nearly faced with this dilemma now.  My time as a 4-H member is nearly over and I’m merely days away from my retirement from council.  My birthday being on December 22 makes this my last year in 4-H as a member.  Did you see that key phrase?   4-H doesn’t end just when you “age out”.  Thankfully, I’ll never truly leave the program.  From staffing events, to volunteering as a leader – 4-H will always be a part of my life and I will always be heavily involved with the program.  I once heard that you make time for the things you love.  I love 4-H and I know that I will make time advocating, volunteering, and supporting the program in the time that lies ahead.

So where am I going after I retire from the 2012/2013 Pennsylvania 4-H State Council?

In the fall, I will be attending college and helping the new 2013/2014 Pennsylvania 4-H State Council in whatever way possible.  In the future, I plan to (and most definitely will) become a 4-H volunteer and leader.  I want to stay in touch with my team as they were my backbone for an entire year.  Those memories don’t fade with time and distance doesn’t fully destroy what once was.

It’s been a year – an inspiring, life changing, dramatic, eventful, and motivating year.  Powerful and influential are the words that I believe to most accurately describe my council term.  My time on council and in 4-H in general, has made a prominent impact in my life.  It’s an impact so great that I can never forget the memories I’ve created and the skills that will carry me on in life.

A BIG THANKS goes out to my amazing team and my awesome advisor, Mya Rushton, for an unforgettable year!

Good luck 2013/2014 Pennsylvania 4-H State Council!  Enjoy your time – it doesn’t last forever.  

Until we meet again.
Respectfully signing off,

Cassidy Baker
2012/2013 Pennsylvania 4-H State Council

"It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right...
I hope you had the time of your life."

Green Day




"Don't cry because it's over.
Smile because it happened."

Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment