Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Saturday, May 31, 2014

State Achievement Days

Greetings once again Pennsylvania 4-H! 

Just a few days ago I found myself surprised that my junior year is almost over! As of next Friday I will have completed another year of school. I started thinking about how a few years ago I used to look at the "big" juniors and seniors and wonder what it must be like to be them and here I am now, one of them, and I don't feel any different than that significantly shorter version of me did a few years ago. I'm older and bigger, but I don't feel like I am. It's an interesting phenomenon that I'm thinking I'll keep feeling especially as I get older. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I actually ever feel older!

With the end of the school year means the beginning of summer and with the beginning of summer means that the 4-H State Achievement Days are coming up! This is a calling to all PA 4-H members 13-18 saying that I want you to attend the 4-H State Achievement Days! 

So for those of you who don't know or haven't heard about achievement days, it is an educational three-day program for the demonstration and recognition of the achievements of 4-H members in competitive and noncompetitive events. It is held every year at the Penn State University Park campus. This year the event will go from July 28th-30th. 

The majority of the people who attend enter into the competitive tract. There are many competitions from air pistol to canine super bowl to presentations. There is even tractor driving! There are a lot more I didn't talk about too! So make sure you talk to your extension educator about all competitions! For those of you who don't want to compete but still want to go to state days, there are noncompetitive tracts that you can do instead. In the past there has been the science symposium, noncompetitive questing, and a few other events too! I'm not sure which of these will be available this year, but, again, if you want to know more, ask your extension educator.

I myself have gone to state days every year except one since I was 13. I was in noncompetitive chorus one year (that event isn't available any more), the noncompetitive science symposium, and the presentation competition. I have thoroughly enjoyed myself every year and highly recommend the event to all 4-H members that are old enough. I always look forward to going back to state days, seeing friends from the years before, and making new ones as well! Last year was when I met the majority of the other people that I was to be on state council with! Let me tell you, I'm sure glad that I did meet them and that meeting them has made the past year so much more amazing and fun. 

So once again I want to see you all at the 4-H State Achievement Days going from July 28th to 30th!

See you then! 

Jesse Isenberg
2013/2014 Pennsylvania State 4-H Council
Vice President of Operations

No comments:

Post a Comment