Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Senator Dad

Hi everyone!
I can't believe that it's only been 24 hours since I was at 4-H State Capital Days in Harrisburg, it feels like a lifetime ago already. Actually, Capital Days was the first state event that I attended the entire event (I went to Achievement Days first but I only went for the fashion revue day). Being a State Council member is a whole different perspective on state events, that's for sure. But I think I've always had a different perspective on Capital Days than everyone else. You see, most people have never met their legislator before, and are nervous about meeting him or her and don't know what to say. I can honestly say that I have never had that problem, because my dad was my Representative, and now he's my Senator. I don't like to make a big deal out of it because it's a job like any other, but it just so happens that there's a 4-H event that has to do with his job! It's kind of awesome that I got to experience a little bit about what his job is like, and then get to talk about it with him and my sisters at breakfast. It kind of became the family joke that my sisters and I had to drive 5 hours and pay money to have breakfast with our dad! But if there's one thing I learned from my 3 years at Capital Days, it's that I could never do my dad's job. I admire anyone who can do the things those people do all day every day. My dad makes that 5 hour drive every week, and sits through people trying to put all kinds of things into law, and has to make decisions that he thinks will make the laws better. I could never handle that pressure. It's different doing it for fun for a weekend, and actually affecting what happens in our state. I've always had an inside view of what it's like for legislators at home and in public, but I enjoyed the chance to have a little taste of what his job is like while he's in Harrisburg. The most important thing I would like to share with anyone who ever goes to Capital Days again is that the legislators are real people. They have families and friends, they listen to music and watch sports on TV, they order pizza and wear normal clothes (except for my dad, I have't seen the man wear jeans since 2007) , and aren't scary or overly formal for the most part, so you shouldn't feel nervous about messing up or being awkward. It's okay! I think that truly understanding our government is realizing that we're all just people trying to make a difference in the best possible way.
Woah, that was a lot more serious than I usually write about. so here's a completely not serious at all picture of me at Capital Days.

Have an amazing April!
Sophie Hutchinson, Council Representative

No comments:

Post a Comment