Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Saturday, September 7, 2013

College isn't scary. No, seriously!

Hey PA 4-H!

 Take a wild guess at who this is! I'll give you a few hints:

     1. I am a college freshman and the second oldest on Council
     2. I am from Northwestern PA (this should narrow it down a lot)
     3. My 4-H project focus is on sewing and textiles
     4. If you went to Achievement Days (and I hope you did, it was awesome) you probably saw me in the Fashion Revue
     5. My name starts with an "S" and ends with "ophie Hutchinson"

Well if you didn't pick up on that...

Anyways, yes, this is Sophie Hutchinson your newest Council Representative, trying her best to balance a life on council with the changes that college inevitably brings: meeting new people, sleeping in a new bed in a room with someone you've never met, and of course the work that goes along with being a good student. But this past week since I moved in to my dorm I have realized something.

College is less intimidating because of my experiences in 4-H.

If you really think about it, it makes perfect sense.  How many times have you as a 4-Her gone to a camp or a conference and done all of the things that makes the first week of college so "scary"? I know in my 4-H experiences that I have had to share hotel room with someone I've never met before who has a completely different life story than me, and then had to wake up early to learn things at the workshops.  And it's fun! Basically college is a super long version of that. 

But you have to actually study at college and do the required work.  This might include pulling all nighters and giving up other things to get the work done.  Does this sound like 4-H to anyone?? If I'm being completely honest, I have pulled my fair share of all nighters the day before the fair to make sure that my projects were just right and that I completed all the requirements for the project books. 

I know many of you reading this might be in high school and starting college probably seems like the scariest thing EVER.  I promise, it isn't any scarier than 4-H.
Not yet anyways. (I'm kidding, you'll be fine!)

Have a great September!
Sophie Hutchinson, Council Representative

No comments:

Post a Comment