Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Tailgating...the 4-H way

Well, September is nearly over! Fall is here and the leaves are starting to change colors! This month went by pretty quickly, but it was a fun one! September 14th was the 4-H Extension Tailgate. It was at the Ag Arena in State College and it's right next door to Beaver Stadium! There was a football game that day, but I'll get to that later. So, soon after I arrived at the Ag Arena, I got to try something that I'd never done before: I held a rather large arachnid. In other words, I held a tarantula! Liz McAndrew (a past council member) brought him and his name was Tula. Only after I was holding him was I told that tarantulas have a nasty bite! As you can imagine, I wasn't all that excited to hold him after that! 


In this picture you can see that I'm smiling on the outside, but on the inside I was thinking, "Oh my gosh he's probably going to bite me! He's moving again! Why is he moving?!?! Wait he stopped now, is that a bad sign?!?!" By the time the picture was taken he had stopped walking and I was ready to give him back to Liz, but she told me that the reason he stopped moving was because he was content. It was kind of cute, but in a very scary way. So that was quite the experience! Other animals there included a chameleon (Chloe), rabbits, some very stubborn alpacas, and a dog that was in training to be a seeing eye dog! The entomology club from York brought some of their insects projects as well! 

Very stubborn alpacas that didn't want to go home
Near the end of the tailgate we went to go see Jared Stufft (one of the people who  works with the Council) playing in the Blue Band! You go Jared!


Soon after we got back the tailgate was over and we packed everything up so that we could go to the Penn State football game! We got there just in time to see the team run in and the game start! It was a great game even though Penn State lost. Personally, my favorite part was the half-time show by the Blue Band (they are awesome if you didn't know)! Anyway, we all had a great time at the tailgate and the football game! This is your VPO signing off until next month. Have a great October and Halloween!

Jesse Isenberg
2013/2014 Pennsylvania State 4-H Council
Vice President of Operations

No comments:

Post a Comment