Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Connections everywhere!

Hello Pennsylvania 4-H!

November is here yet again as it always seems to be after October! So, this month I went to something that was really new for me. The National Junior Horticulture Association Convention (NJHA for short). It was the national level for the plant science presentation ("Tree Identification") that I won with at 4-H State Achievement Days. This year it was hosted in Williamsburg, Virginia. To begin my journey to the convention my mother and I had to  make a very long six hour drive! (Meaning that my mom drove and I slept, haha). After we arrived at the hotel that the convention was held in I practiced a few times to make sure I felt ok about it. Something pretty cool was that I saw someone there that I knew! It's kind of funny because I knew her from the National 4-H Forestry invitational, and then here I was doing something with trees again and I saw her again! Small world huh? 4-H really does make lots of connections! Anyway, next day it was rise and shine early! By the time it was my turn to present I was in the zone and ready to go! So, I presented and felt like I did really well. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay for the awards and had to go back home. The wait at home to find out how I did was nerve-racking! Finally, I received a phone call from my 4-H leader (who had also gone to the convention with her children) and she told me that I was selected as the Grand National Award winner in my category (which was illustrated talks)! Grand National means that I received first place in my category and the judges thought that I did such a good job that they gave me the extra title of "Grand" instead of just national. With this honor I received a $100 check and a medal! I was very excited and glad that I went. I would definitely recommend this convention to anyone who has the opportunity to go, because there are so many more things that you can do there other than just competing.




Until next month then! Eat lots of turkey!

Jesse Isenberg
2013/2014 Pennsylvania State 4-H Council
Vice President of Operations

No comments:

Post a Comment