Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Once upon a December


This month, of all months, is the one I enjoy the most. I'm not sure if it's the cheer running rampant through the air, the plethora of peppermint that suddenly pops up everywhere, or the break from school that always comes at just the right moment to save me from death by frustration. Of course, it might also be that my birthday follows Christmas by a mere four days. No big deal.

This year though, it kind of was. I turned 18 two days ago, and am now officially able to buy lottery tickets, spray paint, and cough medicine. I can also register to vote, open up a checking account, sign up for a credit card, get a loan, and work without a permit. Yay!

My local club is making some serious progress on our projects for our next County Round-Up. We decided to do Wood Burning again this year, mostly because of all the fun we had with it the first year we did it, almost 3 years ago now. Back then, I was still a competing in the Junior level, so it will be interesting to see how far my skills have come. (I'm thinking most of my improvement has come from my new found ability to exercise Hand-Eye Coordination. Something that gave me a lot of trouble the first year we attempted this project. Anyways, this year my design is less generic than the last time. I stenciled some of my favorite German lyrics onto the board, and am in the process of burning, and then coloring the wood with Oil Pastels that my Club Leader recommended. So far I really like the way it looks. When it's finished I'll post a picture.



Farm Show is just around the corner, and I can't wait for it. I've never been before, although I've been to the complex back in October for the Keystone BBQ Competition, and I'm really looking forward to the event. I believe there will be some excellent photo opportunities to be had.

As 2013 becomes 2014, and as I look back on my childhood, (and look forward to the rest of my childhood) I can't help but be amazed at where I find myself. And excited to see where I will be in the future.




Wishing you a Happy New Years!,
Amber J Pound
Council Historian

No comments:

Post a Comment