Your 2014 State Council

Your 2014 State Council

Sunday, December 1, 2013

“Assume you will live 80 years, and then translate that into 80 feet, with each month being 12 inches. Using that model, your time in high school is only 7.9 inches.”  -Eric Chester


Hello Pennsylvania 4-H! Nate Repetz here coming to you live from the Hyatt Regency Hotel in down town Atlanta, Georgia!

Why am I in Atlanta you ask? The reason, ironically, is due to the amazing opportunities that 4-H has to offer! I am a part of the Pennsylvania Delegation the National 4-H Congress! I am here as one of over 700 4-Hers from 45 States and Puerto Rico. As I’m writing this, I have been here for just over 24 hours, but I have already made a lifetime of memories. National Congress makes me realize the impact of the 4-H program more than any other 4-H event I have attended.

Speed Meeting!
So far three things stand out. First is the sheer amount of new people I have meet. For example, I just came back from a “speed meeting” workshop. I sat at a table from another delegate, and we got to introduce ourselves and have a short conversation, and after a few minutes we switched. Just before that workshop, I was out in the lobby playing Ninja with members from Wisconsin, Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky!!

A Lifetime in 80 Feet
The next thing that stands out is our opening ceremony keynote speaker: Eric Chester. He gave us a great analogy about our life. He stretched out a tape measure to 80 feet, saying that the average expected lifespan for our generation is 80 years. Each foot represented one year and each inch represented one month. He then asked us that if we had that time guaranteed, how would we live differently. For high school students, your time in high school only lasts 7.9 inches of those 80 feet! It may seem forever and hopeless when you are in it, but sick with it because those short inches have the possibility to be some of the best of your life. I have already passed that and started a new 7.9 inches of college, but I will continue to live by that philosophy.

The last thing that stands out is a conversation I had with my roommates: Council VPO Jesse Isenberg and Chris VanBlargan from Northampton County. We all shared or past 4-H experiences, and while they were all different we agreed on one thing: Without 4-H, we would not be near the same way we are today. I have said it before but I’ll say it again, 4-H is an awesome organization that shapes many lives. I am happy I get to see that first hand here at The National 4-H Congress!
 

Until next time, I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!


Nathan Repetz
Pennsylvania 4-H State Council
President

 

No comments:

Post a Comment